If your thyroid is struggling, you can be suffering from a host of symptoms. A few of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid include fatigue, sensitivity to cold, dry skin, constipation, a puffy face, muscle weakness, hoarseness, hair loss, cognitive issues, depression, and weight gain. If you want to combat this condition naturally and get your thyroid healthy again, ashwagandha may be the solution you’ve been searching for.
What Is Ashwagandha Root?
This is the first question that most people ask because you are probably wondering why you have never heard of this before if it has so many health benefits. First of all, ashwagandha is common in Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine) because it is native to India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan. It is growing more common now in the west as many people are searching for natural health alternatives.
7 Ways Ashwagandha Benefits the Thyroid
How can ashwagandha help you get your thyroid to function better? One of the primary things that slow down a thyroid is stress. Therefore, the following natural benefits of ashwagandha are important when it comes to improving overall thyroid health.
- Ashwagandha helps reduce anxiety. In fact, in animal studies, ashwagandha has performed as well as modern anti-anxiety drugs.
- Ashwagandha fights inflammation. Inflammation makes it more difficult for the thyroid to produce the hormone it is supposed to supply. It also increases fatigue, so it makes the symptoms of hypothyroidism worse. Ashwagandha helps by protecting cells from the damage that inflammation would normally cause.
- You get an immune system boost from ashwagandha. Stress taxes the immune system. It is why you often get sick at the worst possible times. Ashwagandha increases the body’s white blood cell count, and it fights the stress that weights your immune system down.
- It can help with cognitive function. A slow thyroid affects your cognitive abilities, so this is one way that ashwagandha fights your symptoms even as it helps with the underlying issue. Research shows that ashwagandha can improve cognitive function, including memory, particularly when a person is suffering from a chronic illness.
- Ashwagandha is loaded with antioxidants. You probably hear about the benefits of antioxidants all the time because of their importance when it comes to preventing cancer. However, anti-oxidants also help to support your thyroid and fight against the effects of stress on the body.
- You get an overall central nervous system (CNS) boost. This is because ashwagandha can mimic the function of GABA, a neurotransmitter that helps your brain and body to shift from a stressed mode into a mode where you can relax and rejuvenate.
- Ashwagandha improves stamina. Whether you need an extra boost to make it through the workday or to head to the gym (which is also good for immune health and reducing stress levels), this is a natural way to get it. You get all the benefits of taking in caffeine, but you don’t get the negative side effects that caffeine can have on your body and your thyroid in particular.
Clearly, ashwagandha can play an important role in supporting the health of your thyroid. But how can you ensure that you are getting all of these benefits from the supplement you choose?
Getting the Full Benefits of Ashwagandha for Your Thyroid
To get the full benefits of ashwagandha root, you have to start by using a high-quality product. You want your supplement to contain at least 600mg per capsule and to provide something like BioPerine to help with absorption. Be sure to take your supplement at bedtime. Your body recovers from the day while you sleep, so some ashwagandha is a good boost to make sure you rejuvenate properly.
In addition to taking ashwagandha root, there are a few other things you can do to help improve your sleep, reduce your stress levels, and boost your thyroid function.
- Learn deep breathing exercises. You can use these to combat stress at any time of the day or night.
- Have some tech-free time. Much of the stress in the modern world is due to always being connected. If you can’t shut your phone off on the weekends or on vacation, at least schedule some tech-free time each day. For example, put the phone on silent and shut the TV during meals.
- Reduce alcohol intake. This is especially important in the evening. Remember that sleep is vital, and a late-night drink can affect how well you recover when sleeping.
- Reduce caffeine intake. Again, caffeine can have some beneficial effects, but there are unwanted side effects as well. Reduce your caffeine intake or cut it out altogether if you can.
- Schedule 8 hours of sleep per night (and stick to your schedule). Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day can help. Consistently sleeping enough will reduce stress levels and improve thyroid health.
Pure, Organic Ashwagandha for Your Thyroid
Warrior Strong Wellness is proud to offer our Pure Organic Ashwagandha for Stress and Anxiety. Remember that reducing stress and anxiety are key elements in the fight to improve your thyroid health. Our product contains 1200mg of ashwagandha per serving (2 capsules) and contains 10mg of BioPerine to help you receive the optimal benefits.
If you are looking for natural thyroid support, you’ve come to the right place. And at Warrior Strong Wellness, we support more than just thyroids; we also support kids. That’s why a portion of our proceeds go to childhood cancer research.