Freshly pressed celery juice seems to be on everyone’s radar thanks to social media influencers and health influencers on YouTube. People are waking up in the morning and immediately putting celery in a juicer. They think drinking 16 ounces of this magic elixir will provide digestive, skin, and mood benefits. Is it true? Is there something better you could be doing for your body instead? Here are some things you should know about the celery juice craze.
There Are a Lot of Good Things in Celery
Let’s start by discussing the makeup of celery. It is a well-known vegetable, but usually, we find it as a side for buffalo wings or carrying peanut butter and raisins to make them appealing to kids. Celery isn’t everyone’s favorite veggie, but it really does have the potential to provide some proper nutrients. Here are a few of the things you can get from adding celery to your diet.
- A low-calorie snack – Unless you are dipping it in something with a lot of calories, celery is an excellent way to enjoy a little crunch without all the fat or sugar of most snacks. Of course, if you juice 16 ounces worth, you may be getting up to seven grams of sugar. That’s probably way more than you would ever get from eating celery raw.
- High in fiber – We’re talking about whole celery. The fiber all ends up in the waste bin or compost pile when you juice it. But if you actually chew on your celery, the amount of fiber you get has some real potential health benefits.
- Antioxidants – Flavonoids, vitamin C, and other antioxidants in celery fight against free radicals, which is beneficial for your skin and may even fight against certain types of cancer cells. They can also help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Vitamin K – This vitamin is necessary for your blot to clot properly. It is also crucial for regulating how much calcium is in your blood.
- Folate – Folate is a B vitamin that the body uses in producing both white and red blood cells. That makes it essential for your immune system as well as for energy. You also need folate for your body to produce RNA and DNA, the basic building blocks of your body.
To learn more about keeping your mind and body healthy grab our free e-book Embracing Peace on Your Journey to Wellness by clicking the image below
Is Celery Juice Some Kind of Superfood?
Everything gets called a superfood nowadays if it has health benefits. However, the fact is that many of the benefits that come from celery, especially the variety of antioxidants, are found in many different foods. So while celery certainly isn’t bad for you, it’s not the only vegetable that can provide these benefits, and many fruits are also just as healthy.
The other problem with the celery juice craze is that the people who swear by it have nothing to go by except their own results. Most of the studies that exist regarding the benefits of celery are only using celery extract and not the juice. There is almost no scientific evidence to back up claims that celery juice is going to be some sort of miracle drink for you.
Another factor is that celery juice leaves out what may be the most significant benefit of celery – the fiber. It is something that is severely lacking in the western diet, and it is something that you really need for proper digestive health. So are there any benefits to juicing?
The Benefits of Celery Juice
There may actually still be some benefits to celery juice. For example, 16 ounces of juice is an entire head of celery. There’s no way you are going to eat much in one sitting. So while more than half of the antioxidants get lost in the juicing process, you may end up consuming way more than double the amount of celery. Also, there is some evidence that juicing makes the nutrients in fruits and veggies more bioavailable. That means you absorb more of the nutrients and get more of the benefits. It’s also way better for you than drinking 16 ounces of soda or energy drink.
Should You Be Drinking Celery Juice?
Hopefully, our article gave you some of the information that you need to make a good decision. It’s not like celery juice is bad for you. Just don’t expect it to be a cure-all and have realistic expectations. Don’t forget too that you lose some of the health benefits in the juicing process – particularly that vital fiber. Therefore, you may want an additional supplement to help your digestive tract.
A Daily Supplement to Help Digestion, Skin, and More!
Warrior Strong Wellness is proud to offer supplements that contain nutrients with plenty of research to back up their efficacy. The amino acids occur in a bioavailable form, so even if you are trying to repair a leaky gut, you can still get the benefits you need.
Try our collagen in two different forms. You can get it as a bone broth protein powder, which has a strong focus on digestive health. Or you can try the multi-collagen protein powder for a wide array of protein types that your body needs.
For mood, you can try our organic ashwagandha, which is known to reduce stress levels. We also have our warrior mind focus supplement that is jam-packed with ingredients to boost your mood and brain function.
These are just some of the ways that Warrior Strong Wellness is offering science-backed supplements to help you improve your overall health.
Join WSL365 Academy: “How to Strengthen Your Inner Warrior,
Squash Self-Sabotage, Love Your Body and Live the Life of Your Wellness Dreams”