According to USA Today, Americans spent over $16 billion on plastic surgery and minimally-invasive procedures. in 2016 alone. The most popular treatment during that time period was Botox. 7 million people got Botox injections in 2016 to the tune of about $385 per treatment. The idea behind Botox is tightening of the skin so that some of the fine lines and wrinkles disappear. However, this treatment has many possible side effects and complications.
What can you do if you want to look and feel your best without invasive surgery, Botox, or other injectables? Collagen may be the natural alternative you have been searching for. We’re going to take a look at some of the ways that collagen can help your skin and reduce the effects of aging.
The Anti-Aging Benefits of Collagen
Collagen just makes sense as anti-aging support. It already makes up most of the protein in your skin (70-80%). It’s also something that you naturally start losing in your mid-20s. The older we get, the less collagen we have naturally. That leads to many of the effects that we associate with aging, including wrinkles and fine lines. Here are a few ways collagen can help:
- Helps cells multiply – The skin cells have to replicate quickly because we do a lot of damage to our skin by exposing it to the sun, various pollutants, and frequent abrasion. Your body is always producing new skin cells, and collagen helps the process so that those new cells are healthy.
- Protects the skin – Collagen helps support your skin’s defense against its natural enemies. The dermis, in particular, is responsible for keeping the skin supple and resilient. Collagen plays a key role in maintaining the dermis.
- Helps your body repair – While there is no bad time for taking collagen, some experts recommend having your supplement at bedtime. This gives your body the fuel it needs when it performs restoration during sleep.
- Increases skin elasticity – This is a major factor when it comes to wrinkles and fine lines. As the skin becomes less elastic, it can’t recover from creases that naturally occur as you move about throughout the day (or even while you sleep). Increasing the elasticity of the skin can help the body to recover from some of these signs of aging.
- Improves skin moisture levels – Moisture is the other key factor in the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Collagen helps the skin hold onto its moisture. Properly hydrated skin, in turn, can help to reduce some of the indicators of aging.
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite – A 2015 study revealed that taking collagen for 6 months can visibly improve the appearance of moderate cellulite in women. Overweight women saw the most definitive benefits in the study.
To learn more about keeping your mind and body healthy grab our free e-book Embracing Peace on Your Journey to Wellness by clicking the image below
Rather than providing these benefits along with side effects, collagen slows or reverses the effects of aging naturally. Plus, you get all the other great benefits of collagen such as digestive benefits, stronger hair and nails, and healthier bone and joints.
Protecting Your Skin’s Collagen
Besides supplementing with collagen, you also want to avoid things that can reduce how much collagen your body naturally has. By cutting out some of these factors that damage your body’s natural collagen levels, you can see even better results from supplementation. The primary factors that hurt collagen are:
- Not sleeping – Make sure you get 8 hours of beauty sleep per night.
- A sedentary lifestyle – Hitting the gym is important for more than just muscles and your waistline.
- High cortisol levels – You need to combat the effects of stress. Ashwagandha has helped reduce cortisol levels in studies.
- Eating excessive amounts of sugar – Just be sure you don’t substitute sugary treats with artificial sweeteners, which are just as bad for you (maybe worse).
- Leaky gut – Your body uses collagen to try and heal your gut. If you have this problem, a supplement may help.
- Free radicals – The good news is that collagen has plenty of antioxidants, so it fights free radicals. However, the more free radicals in your body, the more the collagen is distracted from performing its other jobs.
- Overexposure to the sun – You can be out in the sun. Just don’t lay out for hours on end with no protection and be sure to avoid tanning beds.
- Unhealthy joints – Once again, collagen is the solution. Your body will use collagen to repair joints, so supplementation will help shift the balance.
2 Great Ways to Get the Collagen Your Skin Needs
If you want to look and feel your best, Warrior Strong Wellness has two great options for giving your body the collagen it needs to fight the effects of aging without surgery or injectables.
- Collagen Bone Broth Protein Powder – The best source of collagen is bone broth, and we use grass-fed and pasture raised animals to ensure you get the highest-quality, non-GMO supplement.
- Pure-Hydrolyzed Multi-Collagen Protein Powder – This is the ultimate blend of collagen peptides for health, youthful skin, stronger hair and nails, and toned muscle growth. Eggshell collagen peptides are combined with collagen from grass-fed animals to produce a potent protein powder.
Remember that when you shop with Warrior Strong Wellness, a portion of the proceeds goes toward childhood cancer research. So get ready to look your best and feel your best knowing that helped children fight a terrible disease.
Don’t subject yourself to dangerous or invasive procedures. Collagen is the natural alternative that can help you get the results you want.