Neck pain is one of the most common problems affecting Americans today. Chronic pain in the neck can have all sorts of causes in the modern world. For example, things like working in an office, working from home without a proper setup, checking your phone 100 times per day, or just being perpetually stressed out can lead to long-term issues with the neck.
Posture is the common factor between most causes of neck pain. Upper back and shoulder problems may also result from poor posture. What is the connection between poor postural choices and neck pain?
- Strain – Stress can cause you to clench your jaw and adds tension to the muscles of the neck and shoulders. Poor posture can also lead to muscle strain, particularly in the neck.
- Compression – If a misalignment or disc problem is putting pressure on a nerve, the compression can lead to pain as well as numbness and tingling.
- Arthritis – When the neck stays in a stressed position, the discs between the vertebrae wear faster. This can lead to premature problems with arthritis in the neck.
Clearly, you need to take some preventative measures to ensure that you reduce the risk of strain, compression, or arthritis in your neck. Here are some tips for coping with neck pain naturally.
5 Ways to Prevent Neck Pain from Becoming Chronic
Obviously, correcting your posture is one of the best things that you can do to keep neck pain from recurring. However, here are a few more tips to help you prevent future neck pain.
- Take breaks – If you work at a desk, don’t just sit there for hours at a time. Taking regular breaks throughout the day will stop you from keeping your neck in a stressed position.
- Limit smartphone use – The less you crane your neck to look down at your phone, the better. It may help to set phone-free times throughout the day or even to determine set times to use your phone for recreational matters like social media.
- Create an ergonomic workspace – Whether you work in an office or from home, create a workspace that is conducive to proper posture. Keep monitors at eye level and have a comfy chair with support for your neck and back.
- Quit smoking – Research reveals that smoking increases your risk of having chronic neck problems.
- Change your sleep position – Sleeping on your back is best for your neck, but side sleeping is a viable option as well. Avoid sleeping on your stomach, as this is the worst option for neck pain.
To learn more about keeping your mind and body healthy grab our free e-book Embracing Peace on Your Journey to Wellness by clicking the image below
Effective Ways to Reduce Neck Pain Naturally
What can you do if you find yourself dealing with chronic neck pain despite your best preventative measures? Here are our top four natural remedies to try.
From Pilates to Yoga, many stretching techniques can help you to relax tight muscles and destress from the day. Staying in a routine is a critical part of getting the benefits from these stretching activities. Just practicing an active form of stretching once in a while won’t provide long-term benefits. Reformer Pilates workouts, in particular, may provide beneficial results because the program focuses on core strength, which is necessary for your spine. This specific form of Pilates involves the help of a machine that you may find at a Pilates studio or that you can purchase for home use.
If you are trying to avoid an appointment with your GP, you may find the help that you need in an alternative therapy. For example, a chiropractor or acupuncturist may provide some benefits. Chiropractic is a must if your underlying problem is misalignments in the neck. Acupuncture finds its basis in hitting precisely the right pressure points, so be sure to go to a licensed professional with good reviews.
Essential oils may be just what you need in order to relax. Lavender and chamomile are relaxing fragrances that may help you to recover from pain that is due to chronic stress. The benefits may include everything from pain relief to stress reduction with minimal side effects for most people. Be sure to do your research to learn if this product is right for you.
A Multi-Collagen Protein Supplement
There are many studies to back up the efficacy of collagen supplements for the relief of joint pain. Therefore, it makes sense to give this supplement a try if you are dealing with chronic neck pain. After all, the neck contains seven bones, so there are several interlocking locations where the pain could occur.
Even if your neck pain is due to arthritis, a multi-collagen protein supplement may be of benefit. While the Arthritis Foundation will not go as far as to say that every person with arthritis will benefit from collagen supplements, they offer positive feedback. Citing several studies, the Arthritis Foundation acknowledges that the research should continue and encourages a hydrolyzed collagen in powder form.
If you want to give this safe and natural option a try, check out the Warrior Strong Wellness online store. We offer the supplements that you need to get the health benefits you want. Our Pure Hydrolyzed Multi-Collagen Protein Powder is broken down into the simplest form to allow your body to absorb it quickly. This will optimize the health benefits. Give it a try today!
Work with Mary 1 on 1 by signing up for her live video conference lifestyle coaching,
or join Warrior Strong Lifestyle 365 for a self-paced online coaching academy.